5 Tips for Travelling with Baby for happy vacations
Had a baby, and wish to venture out the Travel world?
Pondering over but elders want you to put a full stop to your travel desires till baby becomes older? Get over those fidgety apprehensions now and let me share you my experiences and a handy guide to travel with baby safely and happily. Let travelling with baby be a jubilant exploration rather than a grouchy affair to behold for long!
Planning a travel to India, look out for our Best Child Friendly places guide to travel, relax, unwind and gauge the beauty and history in India
“My side of the story begins, when I travelled every 3-4 months with my baby, starting from when he was 2.5months to 2.6years as of now. I got him accustomed to Flight, train, Bus, car, all the modes available. To confess, acquaintance was not so easy all the time. Some travel days made us feel awful while others emboldened our decision to travel hand in hand. I kept the travel spark in us alive and want all parents to continue their travel spree, yes in some different formats compared to the before baby days”.
“Travel kindles euphoria; It strengthens the bonds; brings in exploration; Gives you a reason to cheer and praise; and yes it helps you lake ample selfies;). So moms and dads get that zeal and zest back and Go pack you bags; Explore the world with your Baby!
Attaching herewith “Prescription of Contented Traveller family”
1. There is lot to explore nearby, why go that far Travelling with Baby?
“I used to say I’ve travelled most of the India, and never felt the need to explore Rajasthan(a state with most widest geography in India), as that was my birth place. But just after having baby, we went to Jaisalmer and that proved me wrong. My own Rajasthan looked so beautiful from the eyes of a new mother, its love made me so much comfortable, It made me feel like travel at home. There was so much to see and adore , from nature to artisans, from adventure to catching glimpse of native’s life. It was the most enjoyable moment with my baby, close to my Home!”
Yes, When there is so much to voyage around, why chose the farthest destination when the baby is small? My first tip, when baby is small and not even a year, chose destinations closer to you. Select those wherein you and baby get the sense of comfort. Comfort of surroundings, love of people, familiarity of food enriches your experience. Place close by can get you more adventure than you ever thought. Make an intelligent move! It’s the baby’s comfort that will ensure your Travel happy:)
2. Tap on the Mode: How to Travel with Toddler- via Car, Bus, Train, Flight?
Try that the you freeze travel time to minimum. Since infants are vey small to get exposed to long road trips and it could be very difficult to make babies sit at one place once they start walking. Isn’t it?
Try to travel during the night when in Bus/Train, so that most of the travel time passes when the baby is asleep.
Also, check if your baby is sensitive to motion sickness. If yes, try avoiding those modes wherein baby can create a messy situation or even vomit (as Bus/Car in Hills).
Words of Wisdom : Tips for Flying with Infants :
- Get baby’s passport ready well before so that it does not become a hinderance in planning a trip.
- Babies younger than 2 years usually fly free on domestic & discounted on international flights, so keep the proof of age ready.
- Travelling with baby as small as 10-12 days? Check with the Airlines, before you book, as some airlines ask for the doctor’s permission to fly small infants.
- Ask Airlines for the extra legroom seat(Usually close to Emergency Exits/ near Washroom) or a Bassinet (if bassinet, they will extend the seat which allows bassinet to be tugged) for a comfortable travel.
- Incase, baby is on solid food (more than a year old), check on the “baby food” option with airlines and get that meal booked in flight.
- Check if the plane has diaper changing facilities, many international brands have one such room with diaper changing small table.
- If you are carrying some baby food or Milk bottle with you, check beforehand if can be heated in flight. Many of short duration flights don’t have the facility to warm up the food or bottle, so take extra care of it.
- IMPORTANT :: If you are travelling with baby baby flight for the first time, encourage baby to breastfeed or give him pacifier or sipper during take off or landing. Since the air pressure changes, it might lead to some displeasure for the baby. If baby is already in sleep mode, do not force or wake him up. It could easily pass of while he is asleep.
WoW : Travelling with baby in Train
Well, it is one of the most comfortable modes to travel and to be true my kid enjoys the most while in train:)
- Be assured of heating up food in train. Few trains only have Pantry section which can help you out heating food/milk for baby. If you baby is on formula milk, take thermos with hot water to help him make his drink:)
- Do no leave baby on sleeper seats all alone, as they might fall from the seat when train is in motion.
- Chat with the co-passengers; discover the midways, your baby will definitely enjoy train ride.
WoW: Travelling with toddler in Car
- Ensure yo have a well fitted car seat (infant seat) for the young babies and the belts are perfectly matched.
- Get baby accustomed to car (infant seat) seat before starting travel journey, so that he feels comfortable on it.
- While travelling with baby in Car, expecting both mums and dads together, make baby ride on the back seat and not in front seat.
- That sun shining through the window seems bothersome for your baby? Why not get some removable shade screens for side windows to keep the aura cool!
Trains and cars are perfect for engaging with kids and can give you an easy baby travel; you can keep on playing /singing some rhymes, chat with the little one. Look outside and make the baby aware of surroundings & objects as, bikes, birds, mountains, trees..and so on. Count them out, make baby aware of the colours.
Take along some short story books or identification puzzles to keep somewhat young kids (2-3years)engaged.
3. Healthy Baby, happy travel! Be Safe, Be Wise!!
Travel only when your baby is healthy. Cancel any travel plans if he/she is ailing or under medication.
- Take along basic medication pouch (fever, nausea, cold, cough, motions, vomits, skin allergy, constipation) , post getting doctors prescription.
- Keep your doctors no. handy incase of any sudden encounters while travelling.
- Travel in sun can be itchy sometimes for the delicate baby. So take along a Hat and do apply sunscreen on the exposed body parts (SPF 15 to SPF 30 (works fine till 6month baby), (SPF 15 to SPF50 (works fine till 2-3years)
- Get your Hotel rooms Child proofed – Check out with the hotel if your baby is between 1-2years and roams around freakily exploring and touching new things.
- Request for a Cot or Crib to have a happy home like feel for the baby.
- Take along child’s ID card & attach some sort of small information card on him/her.
4. Food : Full Tummy = Happy baby = Great Travel with Baby!
• If your baby is less than 6months, you’re happy with less packing. Just formula milk and cerelac must do your job.
- But keep extra sterilised bottles in spare.
- Do pack extra thermos for yourself moms, incase you are breast feeding, so that your requisite of being hydrated never goes out of way.
- Once your baby is on solid foods, there seems to be plenty of options to carry along as in –
- Choose finger foods as – Fruits – Banans, Apples, Pear, Oranges, Cheeku
- Cakes, biscuits, cheese slices
- Puffed rice (murmura / mamra)
- Soya katori or any mixture your kid loves
- Carry along big bib which covers the upper half of the body with plastic coating so that it can be easily cleaned.
5. Smart Travelling with baby = Let baby reign the Travel!
- Try not to disturb baby’s routine, they will for sure need that precious nap time. Plan such that baby meets their sleep requisites.
- Prefer taking stroller, so that baby can easily sleep and have a lovely nap time while you can roam around, sit, have some yum food by that time. If not stroller, prefer taking backpack. But do ensure that your baby is used to backpack or Stroller well before, else this new sleep bed may get onerous for both parents and babies.
- If your baby sleeps in car/bus while in motion, do use that time hand in hand.. Drive and Nap. Once awake fresh, you can explore or roam around the new place.
- Let baby follow the routine as in home. Well that doesn’t means that you have to keep a watch at the clock and follow the schedule as the clock ticks. But maintain the process as noon nap has a small massage, lullaby, bath and then sleep.
- Keep extra diapers handy! Rather than overloading in your bags, pack necessary 4-5 and why not buy the packet at your destination itself?
- Try changing your schedules, have food early at the famous restraunt you’ve tapped. Avoid the baby’s uneasiness on looking at the crowded or noisy place, by simply grabbing your seat for a quick meal well before the time it gets in fill.
Some generic tips for travel with baby :
- Keep extra set of clothes in your hand bag, atleast one for baby and one for self (One set of Clothes, Napkins, Wipes, extra 2-3 diapers, bibs should always be ready in hand bag).
- Prepare a set of clothes and pack them in labelled plastic bag, so that you can get easily what you want.
- Pack medicines and toiletries in resealable plastic bags, so that any liquid doesn’t ooze out and catch your baggage with dirty surprise.
- Pack some extra empty papers and plastic bags.
- One can prefer carrying Gripe water / Bonisan (do check with your doctor) to avoid constipation when there seems to be a change of place and weather.
- Take on the Baby blanket, as it could turn handy anytime anywhere.
Don’t leave any stone unturned to make an intelligent trip advisor out of yourself moms and dads. Travelling with baby makes exploration all the more adventurous. People love you with that sweet little soul and definitely you get your passion back.
Love Travelling, Enjoy travelling with baby!!